Dr. Steven Shepard is the founder of the Shepard Communications Group in Williston, Vermont, co-founder of the Executive Crash Course Company, and founder of Shepard Images. A professional author, photographer and educator with more than 30 years of experience in the technology industry, he has written books and articles on a wide variety of topics. His books include:
- Commotion in the Ocean: A Technical Commercial Diving Manual. National Association of Underwater Instructors, 1979.
- A Matter of Last Resort: The Story of Byron Hot Springs. Contra Costa County Historical Society, 1987
- Managing Cross-Cultural Transition: A Handbook for Corporations, Employees and Their Families (Aletheia Publications, New York, 1997)
- Telecommunications Convergence: How to Profit from the Convergence of Technologies, Services and Companies (McGraw-Hill, New York, 2000)
- A Spanish-English Telecommunications Dictionary (Shepard Communications Group, Williston, Vermont, 2001)
- An Optical Networking Crash Course (McGraw-Hill, New York, February 2001)
- SONET and SDH Demystified (McGraw-Hill, 2001)
- Telecom Crash Course (McGraw-Hill, New York, October 2001)
- Telecommunications Convergence, Second Edition (McGraw-Hill, New York, February 2002)
- Videoconferencing Demystified (April 2002, McGraw-Hill)
- Metro Networking Demystified (McGraw-Hill, New York, October 2002)
- RFID Demystified (McGraw-Hill, New York, July 2004)
- Telecom Crash Course, Second Edition (McGraw-Hill, New York, June 2005)
- VoIP Crash Course (McGraw-Hill, New York, July 2005)
- IMS Crash Course (McGraw-Hill, New York, March 2006)
- WiMAX Crash Course (McGraw-Hill, New York, May 2006)
- How to do Everything with VoIP (McGraw-Hill, New York, December 2006)
- Managing Supply Chain Technology (Aspatore Publishing, November 2006)
- Using VoIP to Empower Your Business (Business Week, November 2007)
- The Telecom Economy: Charting a Path in Uncertain Times (McGraw-Hill, New York, May 2008)
- Road Scholar: How to Start and Operate an Independent Consultancy (Executive Crash Course Press, 2009)
- World View: Images from a Life of Travel (See Life Productions, Incorporated)
- A Year in Southridge Meadow (See Life Productions, Incorporated, 2010)
- Reverse Engineering the Future: A Prescription for Change Leadership (Executive Crash Course Press, 2009)
- Giving Up Control: Strategies for Success in the User-Generated Economy (Executive Crash Course Press, 2010)
- Making LTE Work: Strategies for the Broadband Edge (Executive Crash Course Press, 2012 – Release date yet to be announced)
- The Deliberate Photographer. 2012.
- The Deliberate Storyteller. 2012.
For more information on books by Steve Shepard and Shepard Communications Group, please click here to visit our bookstore >
Dr. Shepard received his undergraduate degree in Spanish and Romance Philology from the University of California at Berkeley (1976), his Masters Degree in International Business from St. Mary's College (1985), and his PhD at the Da Vinci Institute in Rivonia, South Africa (2009). He spent eleven years with Pacific Bell in San Francisco in a variety of capacities followed by ten years with Hill Associates in Colchester, Vermont before forming the Shepard Communications Group in early 2000. He is a senior fellow of the Da Vinci Institute of South Africa; Adjunct Professor in the University of Southern California’s Marshall School of Business; a Founding Director of the African Telecoms Institute; former Chairman of the Vermont Telecommunications Authority, the organization tasked with managing the distribution of broadband stimulus money in the State of Vermont; member of the Board of Advisors of the Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA); and an Emeritus member of the Board of Trustees of Champlain College. He is also the Resident Director of the University of Southern California’s Executive Leadership and Advanced Management Programs, and adjunct professor at Thunderbird University, the University of Vermont, Wharton University, Emory University, UBC, The Ivey School, Champlain College and St. Michael’s College.
Dr. Shepard specializes in international issues in technology with an emphasis on the social implications of technological change, technology infrastructure development, strategy creation, technical marketing and strategic technical sales; the social implications of technological change; the deployment of social media as an organizational collaboration tool; the development of multilingual educational programs; and, through the Executive Crash Course Company, the effective use of multimedia. He has written and directed more than 40 videos and films and written technical presentations on a broad range of topics for companies and organizations worldwide. He has written and photographed in more than 90 countries, serving clients across many different industries including telecommunications, IT, media, advertising, healthcare, and government, to name a few. He is fluent in Spanish and routinely publishes and delivers presentations in that language. Global clients include major telecommunications manufacturers, service providers, software development firms, multinational corporations, universities, professional services firms, NGOs, advertising firms, venture capital firms, and regulatory bodies.
He lives in Vermont with his wife Sabine, who has put up with him for more than 30 years.